Monday, May 7, 2012

Cherry Cobbler Carnation

* I've added instructions at the bottom of this post on how to make carnations *

Well, carnations are my favorite kind of flowers and today's card was inspired by a red carnation my daughter gave me when she stopped by to visit last week...how sweet was that! :)  I figured this flower would be perfect for this week's sketch challenge from Stamping 411 because of the flower on the front of the sketch challenge.  I hope you enjoy the card...and the flower too. :)





I had to show the actual flower too, just couldn't get a very good pic. :(


Thanks for looking and have a great day!

Stamp Sets:  Elements of Style & On Your Birthday
Card Stock:  Basic Black, Cherry Cobbler & Whisper White
DSP: Mocha Morning
Ink:  StazOn Black
Ribbon:  1/2" Seam Binding in Cherry Cobbler
Scissors:  Deckle
Shimmer Paint:  Champagne Mist
Circle Scissor Cutter


First I cut out 6 circles.  My biggest one was 3 ½, then 3 ¼”, 2 ¾”, 2 ¼”, 2” and 1 ¾”.  If you want a smaller flower just start with a smaller circle.  I then cut around the edges with a deckle scissors (Stampin’ Up! sold these a long time ago).  When I cut the four biggest circles I didn’t just cut around the circle I weaved in out a bit.  Kind of like a wave going around the circle.  The last two I didn’t weave back and forth, just cut as close to the edge as possible.  


For the red carnation I sponged just a tinge of the edges with StazOn black ink so the ink doesn’t run. I did this sample with Stampin' Up!'s Classic Stampin' Pad in Marina Mist because I wanted it to run into the Whisper White.  Do it on both sides!


I then make sure I have a few layers paper towels and spray each of the flower pieces with water to get them wet...dab off the extra water.  


Next I crinkle crinkle all the pieces.  Note that if you're using Whisper White or Very Vanilla the card stock is not as thick as the rest of Stampin' Up!'s card stock.  The Cherry Cobbler does not rip as easily as the other two, so handle the lighter card stock with care.  


Now carefully open it back up and straighten the edges as best as you can, but don't pull too hard.  Now let it dry...or dry it with the heat gun because you're too impatient like me! lol  Notice how the ink bled.  You want that!



The final step before putting it together is to use your paper piercing tool to split each piece you have (yes, this is a little tedious, but your patience will pay off!), so you now have two of every piece making twelve pieces.  


Now you just layer them with the biggest on the bottom all the way to the top making sure you vary where the edges are at.  


Once you have them in place on the paper piercing mat use your paper piercing tool to put a hole through all of the layers.  Put a brad through it and close it.  


Now starting with the smallest piece in the middle pull it all up and pinch the piece together.  Do this with every piece. 




The final step is to pull the pieces back to your liking.  And if you like sparkle add a little spritz of Champagne Mist Shimmer Paint.  Hope the instructions were simple and you enjoy making carnations of your own!




  

15 comments:

  1. Sara that flower is just GORGEOUS! It looks so real! Beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Glenda! I loved making this flower and how it turned out!! Hmm...another demonstration? lol It's actually not too hard to make, just takes a bit of time and if the ladies do some of it again it won't take too long. So if you need another demo for next month I have an idea. lol

      Delete
  2. Such a beautiful carnation and so very realistic! Would you share more information about creating it?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rita,

      Thanks! I really like how it turned out too. I'll be glad to let you know how I made it. I started typing something up and thought maybe pics would help too. I need to make another flower so I'll take pics when I make it and update my blog. Not sure what color this one is going to be though! lol

      Sara

      Delete
  3. Beautiful card!How did you make the carnation?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi...not sure of your name, but thank you for looking at my card. :) Like I told Rita, I'll be glad to let you know how I made it. I think pics will help more than words, and since I'm making another one I'll take pics as I'm making it. I'll update my blog as soon as I get it done. Not sure this one will be red though. I'm waiting to find out what color the lady would like. :)

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is an amazing card. Love the black and white with red. How sweet of your daughter to bring you a flower. I can't believe you made that flower it looks so real. WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is TOO COOL! My 7 year old is sitting beside me and we are both chuckling. Your card looks almost EXACTLY like her costume for jazz dance. Even the carnation (her dress has 3) I was thinking, when I saw the dress that it would make a cool card. You've already beaten me to it! :) Thanks so much for playing along with stamping 411 this week. (((rubbah hugs))) Selene

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simply beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY! I am such a goof... I read the directions while I'm at work... I HAVE ANOTHER THREE HOURS TO GO!! All I want to do is go home and try this carnation. You did a great job and made the directions easy to understand.

    Thanks again Sara. LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, Erin, I hope those three hours went by quickly and you were able to give the flower a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Wow! Wow! Thanks so much for the instructions on how to make this gorgeous carnation!

    ReplyDelete
  11. AMAZING!!! We need to make these at our downline meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW!!! That carnation is gorgeous! I'm going to have to try that!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous! I kept looking at that carnation thinking, there is no way I can make that. Then I saw your awesome tutorial and thought 'hmmm...maybe I can!' The whole card is just fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I read everyone! If you ever wonder how I've made something I'd be glad to let you know! Sara

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...